Today the ordered sticky letters arrived. To be able to determine the difference in transaparacy between the printed sheet and the painted acrylic, I decided to make a test piece on some rest material. I sticked the numbers 1 to 4 on the acrylic and spray painted the piece gray. Because it is just a test piece I didn’t wait 6 hours as instucted on the can, but just 1 hour.
Then I put a piece of tape over the part with the ‘1’ and painted the rest for a second time. I repeated this proces until four layers were applied, and let the paint dry overnight. Tomorrow I will remove the tape and the numbers. This way I can compare the transparency of both pieces and I also have had some (very minimal) practice of the amount of labour needed to do the spray paint job.
The transparency will be the deciding factor. The amount of work is a one time action, but on the other hand if you don’t do that you will be annoyed by the amount of light shining through every time you use the temporary MIP. If the foil shines through considerably more, I will have to put in a lot of elbow grease to get the panels done. I also will be able to see how many layers of spray paint will be needed for a good result.